Tuesday 2 February 2010

FIA FLAME Conference 2010 - What builds a great business?

 


One of the industry's favourite presenters, Tim Fearon has over twenty years of working in results-driven corporate environments. He will be presenting at the FIA Conference on July 14th in Cheltenham.

I'm not going to lay into the industry's service levels - although Lord knows, I could - but here's a little tale that might have some resonance.

A few months ago I attended a conference in Atlanta and discovered the Metro Café Diner at 229 Peachtree Street, where I found a smile as wide as the Mississippi awaiting me.

"Hi there and how are you today?"

A question delivered with REAL interest and curiosity. What followed? Great food, conversation about the Atlanta mayoral elections and an array of questions to find out where I was from and what was doing in Atlanta [gym instructors please note].

"I'm here for four days. Conference at the Sheraton, but I like to get out of the hotel; otherwise, I never get to see anything of the city."

"Well, sir, if you want to get out at lunchtime, you come back here. You like fish?"

"I sure do."

"We have a great lunch buffet. Great price, great fish and a whole heap of other stuff. Best in town."

And when I returned for my second visit I was greeted with: "Hi, welcome back, great to see you again."

And this in one of, what I reckon, must be the busiest eating places in Atlanta. Get the idea?

Guess where I ate FOUR MORE TIMES in four days, as well as taking other people from the conference there?

It's not rocket science, it's what builds great businesses. Does it apply to the fitness business? You bet your sweet life it does.

Tim Fearon
Owner
The Extraordinary Coaching Company

No comments:

Post a Comment