Wednesday 7 October 2009

Hollywood and the Future of Health and Fitness


I am not a political person but even I get caught up in the excitement of Party Conferences – especially the last one before an election.


When we come to write the history of our sector, this administration will go down as the one which helped to put activity on the health map – a factual observation not a political comment. I guess that’s why I feel a bit like Captain Kirk on USS Enterprise: the FIA’s goal is to boldly go (into the healthcare and wellbeing universe) where no fitness trade body has been before. Our challenge, should we accept it, is to use the last two years as a springboard to really establish ourselves as a public health delivery partner which has proved itself and can do more.


This is why the Party Conferences have so interested me. I’ve tried to look for the bits which would give me some indication of where our agenda (more people more active more often) fits into the bigger issues. The post apocalyptic agenda was understandably dominated by what Boris called the ‘Leper colony’ in the City and MPs with a liberal interpretation of expenses. There was talk of jobs (yes!): green (perhaps): transport/housing/security (OK): schools and sport (yes) and, in the midst of all the grand strategies, there was talk of the NHS and health (brilliant).


My remit, irrespective of who is in power, is to make our sector more valuable to those who care for and are responsible for the ‘health of the nation’ and that means more money for MoreActive4Life, Fit For The Future, go and the other ‘wellbeing’ initiatives we’ve developed and our members run.


I guess our message is clear. We’ve proved we can make a difference, now give us the tools (or cash) to finish the job.


Finally, there is a prize for the person who spots the most references to films in my blog.


David Stalker - FIA Chief Operating Officer


No comments:

Post a Comment