Tuesday 10 May 2011

If you don’t like change you’ll like irrelevance even less…

- Tim Webster -

Welcome to the Flame Conference Blog for 2011. Over the coming months you will hear from a number of conference speakers on a bunch of issues that currently face our industry and many others. Here’s your starter for ten:

Two or three years ago we were all salivating at the prospect of major government initiatives around activity and obesity and the impact that the Olympics would have on the nation’s desire to exercise.

Here’s a reality check: The Olympics will be great and the opportunities from the Responsibility Deal and the part we are playing in the governments physical activity initiatives are exciting, but we can’t rely on them alone to jump-start the industry. What will help to attract more than one in ten people in the UK is a significant rethink by operators around what it is that the consumer wants and how we can package it in a way that appeals to them.

Let’s look at this through the eyes of the customer:

• Make me feel important and I’ll love you forever.
• Get the results you promised me and I’ll recommend you to all my friends too.
• Connect with me online and I’ll think of you every day.
• Educate me about how to live healthily and you’ll hook me for life.
• Coach me and I’ll work my butt off for you (literally).
• Inspire me and I’ll do things that neither you nor I ever thought I was capable of.
• Entertain me and I might even enjoy working out one day.

But don’t sit on your complacent collective bottoms, palm me off with the same old stuff you’ve been doing for the last twenty years and expect me to pay you 50 quid a month for the privilege.

I want to get fit, I want to lose a little weight and I want to join your gyms. You have a great product that I would like to be a part of, but you need to understand that I’m in the driving seat now and I will exercise on my terms not yours.

FIA Flame Conference – “Creating Connections – The Key to our future”

Wednesday July 13th at the Telford International Centre.

Click here to book your place now!

No comments:

Post a Comment