Wednesday 24 October 2012

Guest post: Summit speaker Sally Gunnell on the real Olympic legacy


I’ve spent the last 7 years building up to a fortnight of competition.  As a British Olympic Association Ambassador, I did thousands of media interviews, sometimes spending 14 hours a day answering questions.  I led Olympic site tours.  Early ones involved hard hats, high viz jackets and plenty of imagination.  But later on, I found myself proudly pointing out the gleaming buildings in the Park.  I met with officials from LOCOG, the BOA, the IOC and Government.  The best part of the build-up phase was a fun run with thousands of others around the Olympic Park, days before the Games began.

 

I split the Games fortnight between Sky Sports’ studios (where I was doing some punditry) and the various Olympic venues, where I was shouting and screaming with thousands of others.  Unforgettable days.  But now it’s over, so what about the legacy?

 

For me, the legacy is about ordinary people.  I spend a lot of time talking with businesses and local communities about the benefits of a healthy and active lifestyle.  Businesses are working with me to set up employee well being programmes, I help out at countless community sports “tryout” days.  This is the legacy that matters; better health for the nation.

 

For most of us, small lifestyle changes will make a big difference.  There are leisure centres all over the UK, waiting to welcome us – regardless of age or experience.  Why not try a class or have a swim?  Go with friends or family and most importantly – enjoy it.

 

There is so much passion from across the fitness and leisure industry, trying to get people healthy and active, I am very proud to be speaking at the FIA Summit on 22 November. I can’t wait to hear about what is going on across the UK to ensure the Olympic activity legacy becomes a reality.

Book your place at the Summit now.
For more information on Sally’s Healthy Living workplace wellbeing programme visit www.sallygunnell.com, like Sally Gunnell Healthy Living on Facebook and follow @SallyGunnellHL on twitter. Sally can also be found tweeting at @SallyGunnell.   

No comments:

Post a Comment