Friday 15 October 2010

Notes from my home town.... and the Conservative Party Conference

Back in my home region of Birmingham, Sayeeda Warsi, Conservative Party Co-Chairman, opened the conference to a standing ovation. We held a Fringe Event at the conference, again looking at tackling the public health crisis. Once again the event was a real success, while our Chairman Fred Turok generated some excellent debate around the benefits of physical activity in dealing with public health issues.

After, it was off to the London 2012 fringe. A surprise guest, Liberal Democrat Don Foster MP, arrived and sat a couple of seats away from me. I raised the question to the panel of the concerns over a lack of a health and sporting legacy being delivered off the back of the games. I requested that he didn’t go into the dropping of the 2 million more people active target and providing information around school sport, but that’s about all he included in his answer.

At the Health Hotel reception in the evening, it was Andrew Lanlsey and Freddie Howe’s turn to represent the Health Team. I briefly spoke with Andrew to let him know about some of the plans we have in place around the Responsibility Deal and encouraged him to meet with our Chairman, Fred Turok to discuss in more detail.

On Tuesday, Andrew Lanlsey and team took to the stage for the Health speeches. Unfortunately, there was little spoken about public health other than the mention of an impending public health White Paper. For the party who had said they would champion public health and even rename the Department of Health, the Department of Public Health, we are still waiting for the detail.

The Wednesday morning began with an early roundtable event with three members of the conservative health team, The Rt Hon Andrew Lanlsey MP, Anne Milton MP and Simon Burns MP. There was some excellent discussions on our table, talking about how the critical issue for the NHS is to address the declining health of the nation. With the Responsibility Deal for public health which is ongoing, the FIA are in a prime position to deliver this and with a public health white paper due to published at the end of this year, this is an area which is going to be a key focus for the health team. Following the group discussions, Fred and I sat down with Simon Burns MP to talk in greater detail about physical activity policy and the responsibility deal. I couldn’t believe it was only 10.20am and so much had already been achieved!

I queued for nearly 2 hours waiting for David Cameron’s appearance on stage. I kept checking my watch, checking twitter, anything to not get dragged into the riveting conversation about the length of the queue! When I was finally admitted to the hall I was pleased with the view and glad I had dedicated 2 hours to see the his speech. I waited in anticipation as William Hague introduced the shadow cabinet and then the big man himself. As always, there was a spectacle put on with a video summarising the past few months, including the election trail. I listened to a powerful speech but I couldn’t help feeling slightly disappointed as I left. I don’t know whether it was the room and symphony hall which didn’t lend itself well to the speech, but there hadn’t been the electricity I was hoping for. Don’t get me wrong, good points did come out of it but I had to agree with Tim Montgomerie (editor of Conservative Home) when he described it as ‘forgettable’.

And that was it. The final conference of the season was over. Looking back all had been very different. The Liberal Democrat conference seemed to be an attempt to wake up the members and tell them that they now had power! Labour was a look back and self assessment of 13 years in government and was dominated by the Milliband brothers. And the Conservatives was a celebration (*almost* champagne free) for finally being able to call David Cameron Prime Minister with a few scandals of policy announcements.

By and large, our aims and positions were supported by all parties and there are more policy developments to be made around public health over the coming year. 3 cities, 3 parties, 3 fringes – let’s see how they deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment